It would be great if a monitor function for AM was present in the Flex hardware but since it's not, many Flex operators who run AM build a little RF sampler to monitor the quality of their AM transmissions. The one I built is based upon a design from the "East Coast Sound" section in the www.amfone.net archives. I really like this one because it provides enough output to drive standard hi-fi type headphones, it has an oscilloscope tap, and the parts cost less than 15 bucks (even less if you have a good junk box). I use the Bose Companion II series speakers which provides two audio inputs with my Flex. I run a patch cord from the RF sampler audio output into the second input of the Bose speakers and then plug my headphones into the Bose headphone jack. Once you balance the audio level of the Flex receiver with the audio level of the little RF sampler you are good to go. When you transmit, the only audio you will hear in your headphones will by from the RF sampler, and when you receive, all you will hear is the Flex. The link below is to a JPG of the simple schematic.

73,

Rob W1AEX

http://www.w1aex.com/756AM/RFsamp.jpg