 From: Ken Alexander <k.alexan...@rogers.com>
To: "Robert Costa, KB6QXM" <kb6...@yahoo.com>; Brian Lloyd
<brian-wb6...@lloyd.com>
Cc: "Carol F. Milazzo, KP4MD/W6" <kp...@cfmilazzo.com>;
"flexradio@flex-radio.biz" <flexradio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:33:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] The new 472-479 kHz band - REAL DX

Hi All,

I'm not sure what kind of parameters you'd like to be able to adjust Brian.  I
think that if you put a good filter at the antenna jack and get rid of the AM
broadcasters then your Flex can easily do the rest.

I have already built a lowpass filter that cleans the longwave band of any AM
broadcast interference.  A bandpass filter is more difficult to do; it's not as
forgiving of variations in component values so trimmer capacitors would have to
be added to get it set up correctly, which makes it more expensive to build.

It seems to me one only benefits from a bandpass filter if one lives in parts
of the world where Loran-C is still operating, or  where the longwave broadcast
band is still active, i.e., not North America.  Otherwise, the lowpass filter
lets you hear EVERYTHING below 500 kHz.

Anyway, I'm building a few lowpass filters as soon as I get the rest of the
components I need; one for me and one for a list member I've been corresponding
with who is going to give me some feedback.  I'll be glad to make more if they
work out well.  The bandpass filter too, but that'll take a little longer.

73 - Ken, VE3HLS