These are nice supplies.

Tim Ellison, W4TME

On 6/12/2014 10:48 AM, amsct...@comcast.net wrote:
I don't understand the rationale for feeding a $2500-$7500 piece of equipment
from a supply with a less-than-stellar history, when lab equipment is available
at hobbyist prices:

B&K Precision 3-15VDC 40A switching supply for about $300:
http://www.amazon.com/Precision-1692-Switching-Digital-3-15VDC/dp/B00068OUNY/ref=sr_1_38?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1402583789&sr=1-38

B&K Precision 1-16VDC 60A switching supply for about $570:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G5MALQ/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Thousands of these are in use in test labs throughout the US, including
automotive EMC and radio test chambers. They emit minimal RFI, a very quiet,
run cool and are very reliable. They also offer a useful amount of load
protection, something lacking in most hobbyist supplies.

Mike - N8MSA

----- Original Message -----

From: "Bret Mills" <bret.w...@gmail.com>
To: "K9DUR' 'Ray" <k9...@rnacs.com>, "Dudley Hurry" <jhu...@austin.rr.com>, "Dave
Movius" <dave.mov...@gmail.com>
Cc: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:06:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Power Supply Advice

Same here, I have lost a BUNCH of 2N3055 pass transistors over the last 30
years and equipment that was attached to the Power supply, Also the big
Electrolytic goes bad and you have a lot of AC ripple after about 5 years of
operation.

If your equipment is important to you rebuild the Astron P.S. every 5 years
or so of continuous operation, you may be lucky enough to get 10 years out
of it but your asking for trouble, this is why around here you never see
Astron Power supplies at a commercial Mountain top site on commercial radio
equipment.

Most Commercial installation these days use there own design, I do know
Kenwood systems use Duracom switcher Pwr. Supplies but these are a bit noisy
on HF so don't play well in Amateur use.

73's
Bret
WX7Y