Jack,

I am sorry that you are having issues using the Community. I have some answers to your questions and comments in-line below.

Tim Ellison, W4TME
Customer Experience Manager
FlexRadio Systems^(TM)
4616 W Howard Ln, Suite 1-150
Austin, TX 78728
Phone: 512-535-4713 Ext. 223
Email: t...@flexradio.com <mailto:t...@flexradio.com>
Web: www.flexradio.com <http://www.flexradio.com>

On 9/2/2014 3:14 PM, Jack Haverty wrote:
On 09/02/2014 10:41 AM, Neal Campbell wrote:
The email reflectors are things of the past, Flex uses its community
website for all customer interaction (and many of its customers do also).
Go to community.flexradio.com and sign up!
I signed up for the Flex community website a while ago and found it very
tedious to use.
Jack - I did a user search on you call, your name (first and last) and your e-mail address and did not find you in the Community's list of users. Are you subscribed under a different e-mail address and used a alias for your user name? To be able to access some of the feature you want to use, you have to be subscribed to the Community.
Rudimentary "search" ability - e.g., no way to search
for messages from a particular author. No way to filter messages,
e.g., to hide, or flag, or tag, messages I've already read. No way to
order messages, e.g., by date or author, etc.
That is correct, these are not core features of the Community software. We have addressed it with the developers of the software, but we have no commitment that for them to implement these types of features.
  No way to save,
To save an article, right click on the open article and select Save As... You can save it in HTML format
forward,
You can send a topic via e-mail or a wide variety of social media options (~300) by clicking on any of the small icons in the post question.

or print, a message.
To print an article, right click on the open article and select Print
No way to read messages except through a browser -
in contrast to my desktop, tablet and smartphone where there are many
quite good custom apps for handling mail efficiently.
Jack, Community is not a "mail" based system; it is a web based application designed for customer engagement, so the capabilities you refer to are not inherent in the capabilities of the community; a web browser is required. I use my tablet to view the Community as a web page while traveling on business. I agree it is a little tedious to use an small screen device like a smart phone, but I don't think an app would solve the screen real estate issue either.

I searched for a way to set up a forwarder so that messages would be
sent automatically to my regular mailbox, where I know how to do all of
those things plus more.  Couldn't find any way to do it.
When you post a reply or start a topic, you are automatically subscribed and will receive e-mail notifications when there is new activity on your post. You can subscribe to other posts individually or to entire categories by adding it to your profile configuration. You can also subscribe to the RSS feeds as well. Here is a URL that describes how to "follow" topics: https://getsatisfaction.com/corp/help/managing-email-notifications/
The "how to
use the community" information posted by Flex is minimal at best.   No
answers there.
The intent if the how to use the Community page is a basic introduction, not a comprehensive post for using all aspects of the community.

Shortly after I signed up I posted a question about something.    There
may have been replies.   But now I can't remember exactly how I posed
the question, and I can't find that "conversation".  There's no
"SentMail" folder to capture all the messages I have sent, and no way to
carbon-copy my mailbox as I send something.
See my comments above on following conversations. It sounds like the replies may have ended up in your junk e-mail folder.

It also seems that the Flex Community materials are somehow hidden from
search engines.   If I Google "flexradio.biz haverty", I get a list of
postings I've made on this list.   If I Google "community.flexradio.com
youngblood" to see what the company president has said, I get nothing
except a pointer to community.flexradio.com.
I just did a Google search on "community.flexradio.com GPSDO" and it returned 24 relevant "hits" from the Community. Only the user alias is in the HTML of the post, not the full name so Google will not return posts using the search criteria you listed above. However, if you use the Community user alias, in my case "Tim - W4TME", hundreds of hits are returned.

It's possible that I just didn't spend enough time to figure out how to
do any of these things.   But I find that I don't log in much at all,
and when I do there's such a hodgepodge of stuff that it's hard to see
if there's anything of interest since I last looked.

Am I missing something?   Is there a way to get a "feed" of the
community messages into email, or a newsfeed, or any other such
mechanism that is commonly used in the Internet?
Yes, see my comment about how to follow posts using RSS feeds above
73,
/Jack de K3FIV