Hi Alan,

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm happy that you are interested. But take a look again at the goals of
> STEPS, and think about less than 10 people trying to cover as much ground as
> possible with just 5 years to do all this. It takes a fair amount of time
> just to write the NSF report each year, and there simply are no extra person
> hours to be at all tidy about making throw away materials comprehensible.

I have been following for a couple years now and thoroughly enjoy
reading about your work. I am grateful to everyone working on this for
their dedication and contribution as I have been inspired repeatedly
by different aspects of this endeavor.

> However, we would not turn up our nose (quite the opposite) to anyone who
> was willing to do enough work to actually contribute deep thoughts on any
> parts of this.

Have you seen http://github.com? What would you think about creating a
"steps" or "vpri" project there and just tossing some code into
different repos? If there are no IP issues, the code does not even
have work, compile, anything. Those of us who are interested could
then fork the projects and contribute our fixes or ideas directly in
code. Ultimately, it does not matter if the code is throw-away. It is
more the potential to inspire that is important.

I am sure, based on the eruption of interest that I have periodically
seen on this list and the wide diversity of those present, that we
could probably create some interesting things even with throw away
code. I'd suggest you should be less worried about functioning
programs with nice READMEs and installation guides for five platforms
and more about just letting us go, "oh, ahh, interesting!" and run
with some code.

Also, we would all agree that if stuff doesn't work, it's up to all of
us to help out on the list in answering the questions. I think this is
already happening, so don't feel like you need to babysit us. :)

Either way, thanks so much for all the boxes outside of which you have
forced me to think.

Cheers,
Brian