Hello there!

I have started wiki page about writing mode and bidi design [1]. Needless to
say everyone is invited to edit the page.

There is a couple of problems I want to discuss here before:
First one - Bidi implementation. Alternatives I'm aware of are:
a. batik - either to make use its Bidi implementation (I'm not sure if it fits
our model) or at least to use the same approach. We need to ask batik team for
help here probably.
   + ?
   - ?
b. Our own implementation:
   - requires some efforts, testing etc.
   + independence
   + allows full control and fine tuning
c. Using of sun.awt.font.Bidi/java.text.Bidi classes.
   - sun.* package
   - compilation problems: sun.awt.font.Bidi exists in jdk1.2-1.3, but not in
1.4, java.text.Bidi exists since 1.4.
   + direct access to Bidi API

Any comments?

[1] http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPWritingModesAndBidiDesign