> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > Anyway, may I ask for the reason that you want to do that?
>
> Sure. I am trying to port some code I wrote to implement text-transform for
> the maintenance branch over to the trunk. One of the key things there is to
> tie together all FOText objects that are part of the same Block, so that
> word boundaries are respected regardless of the markup. The way I
> implemented this was to keep finding ancestors until I came to a Block. I
> can't do that without the reference to the parent. It is not a high priority
> thing, but I am trying to finish up all of the stuff I started in the
> maintenance branch.

Should've read this earlier.

This sounds more like a layout thing.
If you are going to find complete words to do some manipulation then I would
suggest taking a look at the "getWordChars" method in the layout managers. This
is used to gather together all strings in from different layout managers, eg. when
there is a inline fo. At the moment it is meant for hyphenation.
The exact implementation for this may change but that is the general idea.