Hi George,

The SVG output uses the AWT font metrics of the current system, which is the
same font metrics that Batik uses to do the text rendering.
Whereas the PDF output uses the PDF font metrics which are standardized
across any system.
These metrics are often different which will explain the different output you are
experiencing as the flow of the text depends on the size of each character in the
font.

Keiron