Thanks Mangus,

That's great info.  (Maybe we can get it stuck into the FAQ? )

I know have 2 working fine. 1 and 3 I still can't get to work
My question about #1 is, how do you know what the relative path is relative too?? I my mind it should be relative to the stylesheet that's calling it but in my experience that doesn't work at all.

For example if I have this setup:
directory
-> doc.xsl (which does a dynamic transform with Xalan into an FO document)
-> logo.jpg

The src="logo.jpg" tag makes FOP complain about  the Invalid URL image.

thanks
Mike