Hello,

I have tried to turn my .fo document into a PDF using FOP many times and keep
receiving the same set of errors.  I have read the mailing list archives, the
FAQ at apache.org/fop and some web resources, and I have tried:

        a/ both running FOP from the command line and from within XML-Spy Prof.
Ed. 2004 rel 3

        b/ setting up a conf/userconfig.xml with specifics on locations of
fonts, and fo input files

        c/ going down the complete list of implemented and non-implemented
elements and attributes, and then altering some attributes ( for example,
changing absolute-position='absolute' to position='absolute' ) and removing
others altogether because they were unsupported.

        d/ rendering the file using RenderX XEP version 3.7.5, which works (but
I would like to make the file FOP compatible as well, if possible).

Here is an example of how I have block-container in use, in my fo document:

<fo:block-container position="absolute" top="8.25pt" left="18pt" height="15pt"
width="65.175pt">
        <fo:block background-color="#fff">
                <fo:block margin-left="0pt" margin-right="0pt"
text-align="left" text-indent="0pt">
                        <fo:inline font-family="Times" font-size="12pt"
font-weight="normal" font-style="normal" color="#000"><fo:inline
font-family="Arial" font-size="11pt"><fo:inline
color="#808000">STATISTICS</fo:inline></fo:inline></fo:inline>
                </fo:block>
        </fo:block>
</fo:block-container>

And, here is a short example of the error message I get, running FOP with both
the -d and the -c conf/userconfig.xml options.

[ERROR] null
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException
        at
org.apache.fop.apps.CommandLineStarter.run(CommandLineStarter.java:111)
        at org.apache.fop.apps.Fop.main(Fop.java:62)

java.lang.ClassCastException
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.BlockContainer.layout(BlockContainer.java:157)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.BasicLink.layout(BasicLink.java:178)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.Block.layout(Block.java:257)
        at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.AbstractFlow.layout(AbstractFlow.java:154)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.flow.AbstractFlow.layout(AbstractFlow.java:110)....etc.

Thank you for your consideration,
Kyle

B. Kyle Partridge
Senior Web Developer