You're not printing PDFs if you use the AWTRenderer, strictly speaking.
The formatted document is painted on a Graphics2D object.

The problem you have, as you guessed, lies within AWTRenderer which does
not implement drawImageClipped and drawImageScaled. If you implement
these methods the background images will appear.

On 17.02.2005 01:04:16 Neil Guinto wrote:
> I wanted to print a PDF that contains a background image.  The print
> process needs no user intervention.  The example outlined in
> FopPrintServlet could not render the image, I'm guessing because of
> AWTRenderer?.  Is there anyway I could do accomplish what I want?
>
> FYI.  The same PDF with no background image prints without any problem.

Jeremias Maerki