I think MS ARIAL UNICODE font has tons of fonts which cover a lot of character sets including special ones. Try using that font set..

Manoj

-----"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: -----

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03/09/2005 01:21AM
Subject: How to handle special characters?

Hi,

I need to display in a pdf file some text that contains different type
of characters: some are ascii type but other are special ones like the
'star' or 'square' characters. I understand from what I have read that
those special characters are not available in the default Helvetica or
Courier base font and that I need to use the ZapfDingbats font.

So what I need to achieve is transform the following XML content:

"Some text ? More text"

Into:

<fo:inline font-family="Helvetica"> Some text  <fo:inline
font-family="ZapfDingbats">?</fo:inline> More text </fo:inline>

How can this be done using XSL to create the proper FO document knowing
that I don't know in advance what the text to translate looks like and
how many 'special' characters it contains (ex 'asdf?as¡df?as£d??fasd?')

Thanks for any tips!

Patrick