I had this issue just two days back in PSPad 5.0.4(527) with a PHP file of ~780
lines, "Unicode UTF-8 no BOM (65001)" code page, and HTML multihighlighter. The
garbage occurred somewhere in the middle of the file, an 'echo' command got
replaced, maybe some characters more. But I was working at the top of the file,
and saving it all few seconds via CTRL+S.
Because I know about this bug since a while, I did not think much about it, just
replaced the broken section from a backup. So I don't know which steps I did
exactly before the issue came up.
Luckily it happens less often than in the past.

Friendly greetings,
Ravelli

--
<https://forum.pspad.com/read.php?4,73692,74302>