I have a control application that uses GPIO pins to switch ON/OFF power feed to
a data collection system and to start it using a trigger pulse.

Now I am trying to remotely debug this system and I have trouble knowing in
which power state it is actually in...

I am using the "driver" PiGpio.pas by Gabor Szollosi from 2013 and it works well
for everything I have tested it with (I have added a switch to define the 2
generations of RPi).
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_on_Raspberry_Pi#PiGpio_Low-level_native_pascal_unit_.28GPIO_control_instead_of_wiringPi_c_library.29

To debug my application I need to see the state of the control lines when the
system is stepped through its functions but I am unable to travel to the
location...
I do have access to the RPi3 using SSH via PuTTY and the desktop via VNC,
though.

Question:
---------
Can two different applications access the (same) GPIO pins without permission
problems?

In my case I only need read access to the active pins so I can display the state
in a monitoring application I can watch via VNC. Checking a few times per second
is enough, I think.

But I don't know if the GPIO pins are protected when they are in use by another
process...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden