>> Not specifying in a program, specially in a strict programming language like
>> Pascal, will always result in implementation depending
>> variations/assumptions.

The problem is, I feel that I DID specify what should be by declaring my
variable as Extended.   And Apparently FPC agrees with me, because it DOES work
the way I expect, except if I put a .0 in my constant terms.   This is all just
a bug if you put .0 after any integers in an expression.  I just put a better
example that shows how it works correctly except if you put a .0

Strangely, upon discovering this, the solution is opposite what I thought it
should be.  If all the terms of an expression were reduced to the lowest
precision possible without loosing data, then my 1440.0 would be reduced from a
float to a word, and then the entire problem would have went away, because when
I put in 1440 without the .0, there is no problem.    The .0 is apparently
defining it to be a floating point and the smallest floating point is a single…
but that’s not the smallest data structure, the smallest data structure that
can be used is a word and that would have solved it.

James