No, the original post has the correct program, dropping a ";" in that spot is incorrect syntax.

The problem comes in because there is an open comment, but no close comment.  If you add the closing } the compiler behaves properly.

On the other hand, I do understand that once the "end." is encountered, further processing is unnecessary, and so the error shouldn't occur, because any text showing up after that should be ignored.

Honestly, it's is a case of six of one, half dozen of the other. It's all in the design of the compiler.  I personally wouldn't consider it a bug, but I can see why some folks would, so <shrug>