> Am 16.02.2024 um 15:34 schrieb Bernd Oppolzer via fpc-pascal
> <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>:
>
> Am 16.02.2024 um 08:32 schrieb Florian Klämpfl via fpc-pascal:
>> Am 16.02.2024 um 08:23 schrieb Ern Aldo via fpc-pascal
>> <fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> <mailto:fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org>:
>>>
>>>  Compile-time math needs to be as correct as possible. RUN-time math can
>>> worry about performance.
>> So you are saying when constant propagation is on, an expression should have
>> a different result than with constant propagation off?
> I don't know exactly, what you mean by constant propagation.
>
> But IMO, given this (sort of fictive) Pascal code snippet:
>

> const Xconst : single = 1440.0;
>
> var y1, y2 : real;
>
> y1 := 33.0 / 1440.0;
>
> y2 :=  33.0 / Xconst;
>
> the division in the first assignment (to y1) should be done at maximum
> precision, that is,
> both constants should be converted by the compiler to the maximum available
> precision and
> the division should be done (best at compile time) using this precision.

Constant folding is an optimization technique, so the first expression could be
also evaluated at run time in case of a simple compiler (constant folding is
not something which is mandatory) which means that we have to use always full
precision (what full means depends on the host and target platform thought) for
real operations. So either: always full precision with the result all
operations get bloated or some approach to assign a precision to real constants.

It gets even more hairy if more advanced optimization techniques are involved:

Consider

var
   y1,y2 : single;

 y1 := 1440.0
 y2 := 33.0 / y1;

When constant propagation and constant folding are on (both are optimizations),
y2 can be calculated at compile time and everything reduced to one assignment
to y2. So with your proposal the value of y2 would differ depending on the
optimization level.