A slight hijack: for people who are using dual monitors, what configuration do you use? Here at work, we have people using dual LCD displays. I see the following configurations in use:

   * Horizontal side-by-side, most often "tilted back" (top back,
     bottom up) but sometimes also straight up and down. This is what I
     use.
   * Vertical side-by-side. A LCD monitor is easy to rotate, of course.
     These are most often straight up and down. I tried it but it felt
     cramped.
   * Horizontal /one above the other/. I kid you not. I usually see
     this configuration with the upper monitor tilted /forward/ (top
     forward, bottom back) and the lower monitor tilted opposite. The
     configuration has a very futuristic/spaceship look.

I have seen a few quad monitor setups, which are most likely from multiple machines.

In my current configuration, I devote the left-hand panel to all my normal work, and use the right-hand panel exclusively for e-mail. I think that the biggest hurdle to overcome is switching my mindset. I am just not used to having this much screen space, so I do things in an old-fashioned style. I often find myself switching between app windows rather than moving one off to the second display.

Joe

John Posada wrote:
--- Richard Doll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As many of you have touted the advantages of dual monitors . . . My
??s follow:

Richard...you're thinking too much. :-)

As a long-time user of multiple monitors, consider it one big
desktop. Simply drag whatever application window you want to whatever
screen you want. You'll be able to drag from the left monitor to the
right monitor and vice versa. I'm continually moving things around.

With the mouse, when you move it past the right boundary of the left
monitor, it will appear on the right monitor.

As long as you don't restart your machine with only one monitor, when
you reboot, each application will (usually) reopen on the monitor
where you left it before you shut down.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually
known what the question is."