Call it accessibility (abbreviated A10Y) unless you mean specifically that you need to certify under section 508.

Your printed documentation is not likely to be the primary source for handicapped users. I assume that they will either use PDF or HTML to access the documentation, either with screen readers, or viewers (for the deaf) or similar devices. In turn, this means that visually-impaired users should get easy-to-read graphics /plus/ text equivalents. The ANSI standard symbols ought to be as good as any, but make them visible and provide text equivalents for them. Also, remember that color should be unimportant.

Joe

Diane Gaskill wrote:
Hi everyone,

We are developing new FM templates for our next release of docs, and we have
decided to make them 508 compliant.  I have reviewed quite a bit of information
I found on the net (including the government sites) but I cannot find the
answer to the one question I have regarding 508.

Are there special 508 versions of Note, Caution, and Warning symbols, or do the
ANSI standard symbols meet 508 requirements?  At first glance, the ANSI symbols
seem to meet the requirements, and we are including the words Note, Caution,
and Warning (in the right cell of the 2-celled tables on the reference page)
which is what 508 specifies, but I thought I'd check with all the experts on
our list to make sure.

Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge.

Diane Gaskll
Hitachi Data Systems

*Joe Malin*