Hi, Alison!

One argument that might work with the PTB to incentivize the IT approval is
to compare the cost of your manual find/replace operation (your time, the
delay in the whole operation it’s part of, etc,) to the few moments it
would take to run the Paragraph Tools. What manager wants to be responsible
for increasing cost and delay, when they could be garnering praise for
improving ROI?  :)

When I first started working at a large company that wrote its docs in unix
text editors like vi, and published in customized xroff, one of the core
tech pubs teammates wrote unix scripts that massaged the files. They used a
variety of native unix utilities and pipelined their outputs to bash the
content into shape. Yes, there was development time, but the rest of the
team only needed to type the command, and that effort paid back by doing
the work almost instantly.

If there’s no other way to get some processing without a tool you now have
and can’t install, perhaps you can interest a colleague who loves coding
challenges to use Windows batch file (or Mac Terminal) command line tools
to perform operations on MIF files. Technically, creating a script this way
isn’t adding anything to the system. After testing, it's just automating
manual stuff that humans might make mistakes when repeating.

Corporate power has some good aspects, but stifling productivity isn’t one.
Often sticking with tradition hides the fact that resisting change is
costly.

Cheers!