On 3/5/2010 13:40, Kostik Belousov wrote:
On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:06:10PM +0100, Mark Huizer wrote:
On 1/21/2010 10:12, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
I think it is nothing new to 8.0, it is the same as release note for 7.2.

I didn't test it, but I think you can install (copy) i386 jail (or
whole system) in to amd64 host and just run it as any other jail.

Actually, that's what I tried, since I want to move a server to new
hardware, but with serious time constraints on my side :-( So my plan
is/was: "rsync the entire machine, build a script that fixes IP
addresses here and there in the copy, run the jail".

I did have to fix a few little things, stuff like copy a few binaries
over (netstat, ps, ifconfig, w, top, ldd, ldd32) and of course the ld*
files in /libexec. Furthermore I moved /usr/lib to /usr/lib32 and copied
/usr/lib from the amd64 install.
So far so good, I start jail, I see ssh, apache etc running, I start to
get happy.
My own experience is that just moving 32bit i386 image onto amd64 host
is better now then trying to make a hybrid with 32bit binaries and
both 32 and 64 bit libraries.

You have to disable all management operations in the startup, of course.
I do not recommend to touch /libexec. You may put statically linked
64bit ps/top/netstat etc into the jail for convenience.

Having amd64 bit kernel that can be configured and managed by 32bit
binaries is the long road. On the other hand, user 32bit applications
working very good.

Well, that is where I started but without success, since ezjail (might be ezjail's problem, who knows) had trouble getting sh to work without amd64 libs present

Mark