Greg Veldman wrote ports@:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:02:14PM -0700, Chris wrote:
> > It also wouldn't be that difficult to simply modify mailman(2)
> > to adopt the py3.x language changes.
>
> To simply make it work, perhaps not.  To make it work well and
> be reliable... might be more difficult than you think.  A large
> chunk of what a mail handler of any variety does is text
> processing, and there are significant differences in that area
> in Python2 vs Python3.  E.g. ASCII vs Unicode.  You'd likely
> be opening a Pandora's box of corner cases and workarounds when
> $STUPIDLY_FORMATTED_MAIL_MESSAGE_OF_THE_HOUR comes through.
>
> The effort would probably be better spent enhancing Mailman3,
> since that's the future of the project anyway.
>
> Also, as someone that's been a Mailman site admin on installs
> of various sizes for about the past 20 years, I'm sort of looking
> forward to the promises of some of the little quirks of Mailman2
> getting some love. ;-)

Hi ports@

This may be tangential to aboveon python versions, but:
ports/mail/mailman supports Mailman2.
Mailman2 & Mailman3 are very different.

Even if it's possible to bend ports/mail/mailman to support Mailman3
Please do not do it; keep it clean for just Mailman2
(Else it would cause big run time problems for user admins (inc. me)).

Any who will want Mailman3 should please clone ports/mail/mailman to
ports/mail/mailman3 (not ports/mail/mailman2) & work there. Thanks

Cheers
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Systems Engineer, BSD Linux http://berklix.com/jhs/
http://www.berklix.org/corona/#masks    150 Euro fine or tie 2 handkerchiefs ?