Russell Jackson wrote:
I'm debugging a problem with portupgrade being used as part of an automated
package
handler within puppet (http://puppet.reductivelabs.com).

The problem is that when the handler executes portupgrade as an external
process from
ruby, portupgrade hangs with a script process taking up 100% of the cpu. I
suspected that
script isn't designed to be run without a controlling tty. So, I executed
portupgrade like
so to test:

portupgrade --new --batch --yes <port> <&- >&- 2>&- &

To my surprise, portupgrade exits immediately with a status of 0. I found an
old pr
(bin/56166) describing similar behavior. It looks like script was fixed, but
portupgrade
still isn't happy.

This happens with both ports-mgmt/portupgrade and ports-mgmt/portupgrade-devel.

Suggestions?

portupgrade was fixed to work when tty is not a physical device but file or so.

I think you don't want to run portupgade this way really. You have a possibility to brake everything.

--
Dixi.
Sem.