A statisticaslly valid sample will be difficult here, I mean a slashdot poll is maybe a way to reach a wide portuion of the userbase, but they all think freebsd is dead:) Some user will object no matter what you do. Even if you emailed root of every system that did a portsnap or cvsup or freebsd-update, some would be offended, though that is one way to reach large numbers.

Brian