Mark Kirkwood wrote:

That is a little unfair IMHO - Aryeh has to gather information from those who use the current system, and @ports is clearly the place for that! Now he may listen to all, some or none of the points of view he receives... and that may well determine the success or otherwise of his ports-ng process - but I don't think he is doing anything wrong.

I agree that a new list (ports-ng or similar) for this would be a good thing to start *soon*, so that those folks (probably from *this* list) who are interested can see what is happening and maybe help if they like!

Cheers

Mark

Information does indeed need to be gathered, and while even the ports list will only grab a small percentage of FreeBSD users, other options would likely grab a lot less. Plus, most of the users here are knowledgeable enough to give decent input. For those of you that don't like change may I suggest the book that led to http://www.whomovedmycheese.com/. It is really in all of our best interest to have the product evolve, the alternative is much worse.
Brian