Anders Nore wrote:
So my question is, shouldn't "pkg_add -r zip" check installed packages for dependencies and make a correct +REQUIRED_BY file for zip? I know that portupgrade and portmaster does this.

As I understand, adding and upgrading should be separate processes.

When you add a package, you should check if an old version of the package or conflicting packages exist and install package otherwise.

When you update a package, you save all dependency info, delete an old package, add a new one and restore dependency info. To have a recursion is good here (update depended packages or packages that depend on the package) as user choice.

There are some unclean cases there. E.g. packages with different PREFIXes, etc.

--
Dixi.
Sem.