Building some (Fortran) applications with lang/gcc44 it turns out we get
weird failures upon startup which look like:

  /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.11
  required by ./gendoc not found

What is happening here is that lang/gcc44 lays down
  /usr/local/lib/gcc44/libstdc++.so.6
and puts /usr/local/lib/gcc44 into USE_LDCONFIG.  Alas the system then
finds and uses /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 from our aging system compiler
instead.

Now, both libraries share the same name/version because these libraries,
like also (and especially) libgcc_s.so.1 because new versions are drop
ins for older ones, but not the other way round.

How can we address this?

        Updating the old, unsupported by upstream system compiler has
been ruled out historically, and does not look like an option (and also
would not help older versions of FreeBSD).

        Use -rpath, somehow, by changing the configuration of the
lang/gcc44 ports?  That sucks in that it will break updates to newer
versions of GCC.

        Set up ldconfig such that /usr/local/lib/gcc44 comes before
/usr/lib?

Anything else?  Any pointers on how to best implement an ordering of
search paths for ldconfig (or rpath, if that is the best of options)?

Gerald