On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 11:21:02PM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> > > I was referring to the trick that saves you from having to ftp in using w3m
> > > or lynx and manually saving each of the above, as I had to, above.
> > You mean "just checking out a ports tree?" That trick works for me 100%
> > of the time.
>
> I didn't mean checking anything out.  I meant downloading everything such
> as ftp://ftp.fb.org/usr/ports/tree/downloadus/*/*.* by downloading one file
> called ftp://ftp.fb.org/usr/ports/tree/downloadus.tar
>
> I just went and got the jdk13 ports manually by ftp'ing each file and
> telling w3m (text browser) where to save each file.  Very annoying.

> I just downloaded everything needed for the /usr/ports/Mk/ folder manually.
>
> > > I'm not sure I want my ports to work, just one specific port at a time.
> > Uhm, Peter, trust me. You asked how to make it work, and I told you. You
<snip>
> > Adam Weinberger
<snip>

> I've been using "make install clean" instead, thinking that gmake ignores
> my /etc/make.conf file (CPUTYPE=k7 since I have an AMD Athlon)...
>
> Well thanks for trying Adam, but I am no less confused and is any the less
> for work required.  To.
>
> --
> Peter Leftwich

Peter,

I think I understand what you have been getting at, although I might be as
confused as Adam?  Anyway, no, you do not need to download the entire
ports collection in order to install ports.  Although, at a minimum you
need the "ports-base" (a cvsup tag) which provides the macro files
necessary for the ports to work.  If you have ports-base then feel free
to just download individual ports as necessary.  However, this might be
difficult.  The beauty of the ports is that they generally resolve their
own dependencies.  If you download one port at a time then you will have
to be sure to download each other port that this the first requires, and
so on and so forth.....in other words, welcome to RPM hell.  So, really
it's up to you, but unless you are very low on disk space then
downloading ports one by one doesn't make sense.  You may have already
been here a thousand times, but just in case, check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/:
"The ports listed on these web pages are continually being updated. It is
recommended that you refresh the entire collection together, as many
ports depend on other parts of the tree. If that is not possible, at
least make sure you get the latest make macro files in ports/Mk. (If you
are using cvsup, this means you need ports-base  in your cvsupfile.) If
you still see errors even with the latest bsd.port.mk and friends,
please fetch the entire collection."

Hope this helps...and I hope I was on the right track!

Nathan