On Monday 05 December 2005 10:56, Ashley Moran wrote:
> On Sunday 04 December 2005 17:20, ke.han wrote:
> > I don't want to follow current or stable (I don't think).  I just want
> > security fixes and other changes that might be termed 6.01 if there were
> > such a thing.
>
> I've always wondered this.  Is there a reason why the FreeBSD team put
> security updates into a branch rather than a 6_0_x release tag?

If you are asking why they don't use a different tag for each point release,
then I think the answer is that it would require you to know precisely what
the latest release is and edit the cvsup file each time. With RELENG_6_0 you
get the latest point release automatically.

Incidently in 6.0.x, x is not the point release number, it's a number that's
only rarely used. The 5.2 release had some substantial fixes, and the FreeBSD
version was bumped up to 5.2.1, though the tag was still  RELENG_5_2.