Greg Barniskis wrote:

Frank Staals wrote:

Greg Barniskis wrote:

apache2_enable="YES"

in your rc.conf?

The need for this as well as the proper syntax should be noted in the file /usr/ports/www/apache2/pkg-msg. For any other port you install there's probably gold nuggets of info in its pkg-msg file. This stuff displays during the make install, but then so does several K of other info so it's not hard to miss these things.

In fact, it doesn't realy matter if you add apache_enable="YES" to rc.conf ( since het installed apache13 adding apache2_enable="YES" would be quite useless ... )

Duh. Sorry, the later line about him trying apache22 got stuck in my mind.

when you start it manually from commandline, adding it to rc.conf is only usefull when you want to start apache from boot, which can be quite usefull, but it can't be the reason why apache wouldn't start.

Oh. I was sure that I'd read in a previous thread that the lack of an enable flag would stop it from being started at all, but that must have been for a different port or in a different context. Anyway, thanks for the correction, always glad to have my misconceptions destroyed.

If I recall correctly you can only start the services in /etc/rc.d/ if you have them in /etc/rc.conf with '/etc/rc.d/<service-name> start'. ( But off-course there is a way to start them without adding them to rc.conf : '/etc/rc.d/<service-name> forcestart' ). You must have mixed up the two ( /etc/rc.d/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ )

--
-Frank Staals