Hello,

A few days ago I was not able to log into my machine using SSH. I got this
following message "Server refused to allocate pty". I was, somewhat
fortunately, able to log using SCP. So SCP works. The file system looked good
for the most part; until I checked out "/DEV". Almost everything was GONE!
Including MAKEDEV. Not sure what to do.

Possible clue: Before this happened, last time I was actually logged in via
SSH, I ran a dropdb command on one of my postgres databases and got an error
message saying I did not have permission to "/DEV/NULL". Not sure what to do, I
set permissions to allow write on "NULL". I have done "dropdb" many times
before and had never seen that message.

If anyone has any clue as do how I may restore /DEV; or how this could have
happened. I would appreciate your input. I am running freeBSD 4.7 with 2GB of
memory on an Intel Xeon machine. Only thing left in /DEV is a file for each
harddrive partition.

Thanks!