On 8/31/06, Elliot Finley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Well yes, if you do it this way, you are correct.  Why not just install the
OS on the smaller drive, skip the dump step and just use the installed drive
as the first drive in your mirror.  That's how I've been doing it and it
works great.

I've got a write-up of the steps required to do this if you or anyone else
needs them.  I also routinely disconnect one of the drives in my mirror
before a major upgrade to the OS or ports so that if I mess it up, I can
boot back to the previous state.  I have a write-up of the steps needed to
do this remotely over ssh (again, if you or anyone else needs them).

Elliot

Sounds like a good idea indeed. I've always followed Ralf S.
Engelschall's instructions at http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
which involves using dump(8) to transfer the data onto the second disk
once it's setup as a gmirror provider.

I must admit I never thought back on those instructions because they
work very well. It was only recently that I had to deal with older
hardware for which I had to salvage some old 4Gb disk drives.

So, if you don't mind, I would very much appreciate if you could share
your documentation with me. In case you're interested, I can offer you
a space on my website should you want to have them online.

Cheers,

David
--
David Robillard