dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On 03 Sep Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>
>> I am not sure about installing Solaris into an existing partition.
>
> I remember one of the FBSD's (a RC, but still) destroying my partition
> table. That's the reason I ask. I know that I don't have to use the main
> option (that's for the whole disk). But if there are no problems know of
> with the sol installer, than I'm a little less worried. I have no space to
> backup my XP and FBSD disk parts (at the moment).

Back in the Solaris 8 days, the trick was to use fdisk to create a primary
partition and mark it as type 'Linux Swap' after which Solaris would happily
recognise it as a location to install into.

Quite how it happened that Solaris uses the same partition type as Linux
swap is shrouded in the mists of time.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard