On 9/14/2006 10:32 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
* On 14/09/06 16:51 +0200, Frank Bonnet wrote:
| Hello
| | Our mailhub is actually a HP DL360 with one processor (Xeon 2.8 ghz)
| with 2 Gb RAM and 120 Gb disks, it is 3 years old.
| | It runs Postfix + imap + imaps + pop3 + pop3s + squirrelmail + vexira | antivirus + postgrey
| and some small auxiliary services.
| | We have approx 2500 users / mailboxes and the machine is often really loaded | | So I decided it is time to purchase a new server and I need some feedback | from | admins that could help me to choose a new hardware system that could runs | like
| a charm with FreeBSD 6.1 ?
| | I need SCSI Disks of course , budget is around 10K$

Your server is good enough to handle even 10k users. You just need to identify what is causing the overload. Adding one processor and 2GB
extra RAM should be enough, I think.

If what you want is to get a "new" server thinking it will be fast just
because of the CPU and RAM, then your thinking is ill-advised.

I have an HP ML350 with one 2.4GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 2x146GB SCSI HDD
and it runs Exim, courier-imap (pop3/imap), squirrelmail, spamassassin,
ClamAv, MySQL with 8k individual mail accounts on it. The only thing I
feel like updating on it is to double the CPU and double the RAM and
I am sure to run it for longer.

Do you see my line of thinking?

-Wash

Are any of the major server brands more FreeBSD friendly than others? I'm looking to purchase a server for some web apps. Our current config is running on a 6 year old Dell PowerEdge machine with SCSI RAID 5, 1 Ghz processor, 32 gig total disk capacity, and a gig of RAM. Upgrading this machine would cost more than it's worth. Boss insists on a name brand server (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc). Budget is in the $2K range. I'd rather stay away from SATA at this point due to the incredible amount of difficulty I experienced putting together a MythTV box earlier this year, and go with SCSI. If no one has specific recommendations, are there any specifics that are definite show stoppers that I should pay attention to when reviewing specs?

Best regards,
Greg Groth