Derrick Ryalls wrote:

This is perhaps off topic, but all machines in question are running FreeBSD :)

This problem is related to the configuration of your MTA, not FreeBSD.

Every day I get dozens of failed email notifications in the form of:

UNDELIVERABLE MAIL Your message to the following recipients cannot be
delivered: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: webmail.hansenet.de
[213.191.73.2]:

           RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<<< 550 RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> User unknown

[...]

With secondary mail servers, I am accepting mail for other domains,
and then forwarding them on.  It is my belief that acting as a
secondary mail server is what is causing me to receive all these
errors.

[...]

Assuming that my guessing is correct, is there any way to stop this
flood of reject emails short of not being a secondary server for
anyone?

Which MTA? In Postfix, you can use the relay_recipient_maps parameter to query a list of valid recipients. The MX for which you're acting as secondary should be able to provide the list.

--
Sahil Tandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>