Tom Marchand wrote:

On Feb 5, 2007, at 3:23 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Call me silly, but it seems to me you ought to be lobbying Apple
for Linux support.

Get a decent Apple-made Linux player, and FreeBSD support via
the linux emulator would *probably* work, no?

I agree, getting Apple to support iTunes on Linux is key. I don't
know if there have been other online petitions ...

Good luck.  My guess is that open-source systems like Linux or *BSD
are considered too easily hackable, and therefore prohibited in
Apple's agreements with the recording industry.  (Even if the iTunes
app itself were distributed as binary-only, having both the input
and output drivers open-source might be perceived as making it too
easy to attack the encryption.)

Hasn't Apple's DRM already been cracked?

At one point in time the DRM in use for encrypting MP4 files was cracked. However, Apple and/or other vendors came up with a different format / scheme for encrypting and/or storing data in iTunes v6+.

Read my previous post which mentions hymn.

-Garrett