> suggested adding a prompt to sysinstall asking if ppl wanted to
> participate, and the response I heard was that someone basically
> needed to submit a patch ... anyone here know enough about
> sysinstall to do so?

If considering work on sysinstall to improve the stats, how about
fixing some of the pitfalls that drive away prospective new users?
(IOW increase the actual number of installations rather than just
the fraction that get reported.)

Do we enough samples to accurately estimate the population using
statistics, and do we have any numbers for the total BSD user-base and
system-base?