On 3/12/07, Gerhard Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

I have a small problem. On my central server we run an openldap server
that
contains the userdata for some systems. An the server uses this ldap
server for authentication and nss. The problem is that when the server is
booting slapd takes a very long time to start up. I think it's trying to
get an answer from ldap for the user ldap. But user ldap is in /etc/passwd
and in /etc/groups

My nsswitch.conf looks like this.

group: files ldap
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: files ldap
shells: files

The system comes up but takes very long to do so (i think it's somekind of
timeout)
Mar 12 14:58:23 phobos slapd[584]: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server
- Server is unavailable

As I see it, nss asks all sources even if the frist one allready knows the
answer. Is there a way to change this.

I've run into this very same problem... but the way I got around it was
putting OpenLDAP in a jail all by its lonesome and making sure that jail
would start before anything on the host system would start that may need
LDAP... (effectively meaning the LDAP server is a different "machine")