On Tuesday 12 February 2008 21:50, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Jonathan McKeown wrote:
[snip]
> > There are a few sites which don't work without Flash. Having checked on a
> > number of occasions, I've found (and I stress this is a personal opinion)
> > that heavy use of Flash is a fairly reliable marker of a site I wouldn't
> > be interested in whatever publishing techniques were used.
> >
> > It's rather like the old saying in the British advertising industry: only
> > sing in an ad if you have nothing to say.
> >
> > How does Flash fit in with accessibility guidelines? In many countries, a
> > commercial site which doesn't degrade gracefully when viewed with (eg)
> > Lynx may fall foul of legislation protecting people with disabilities
> > such as visual impairment.
>
> You know, there are some folks out there who are still using their old M32
> TTY's, and they can't understand why any folks would need mouses.  Those of
> us who have successfully made the move to the 21st century can tell them,
> but honestly, most of us are very tired of hearing the same hoary old
> excuses why things aren't necessary.  The majority of folks doing browsing
> today aren't impressed that maybe some 3rd world country is unhappy with
> flash sites, they just want their flash sites to work, and ours don't.  Why
> don't they?  Because everytime someone comes up with a workable plan, all
> the real cave-men out there trot out there war-stories, and bore us all to
> death with their memoirs, and endlessly recursive arguments.  Everytime
> they get proven wrong on one item, they just move the clock back a few
> months, grab the previous self-justification, and start the argument all
> back up again.  You can't out-last them.

I don't think there's any need for gratuitous rudeness. I did stress that this
is a personal opinion. Just to reiterate: I **personally** have not found any
site that I /need/ to visit which /requires/ Flash to operate, and I suspect
that may well be because, under legislation such as the Americans with
Disabilities Act and similar laws in other countries, this would amount to
discrimination and is officially frowned upon.

I still maintain that your claim that ``half the entire Web'' requires Flash
is hugely overstated.

Your comment about third world countries is one of the most narrow-minded,
ignorant and arrogant statements I've heard in many years of listening to
petty bigots - quite apart from the fact that you're extending what I stated
was a personal opinion to an entire country and continent based on your
personal prejudice. (Not that it's important, by the way, but I wasn't born
here: I chose to move to Africa from Europe, and I didn't like Flash much
before I got here. I still don't, and I have better - though more expensive -
bandwidth available to me here than I would in many rural parts of the US).

And finally: ``The majority of folks doing browsing today aren't impressed
that maybe some 3rd world country is unhappy with flash sites, they just want
their flash sites to work''.

Stop press: since 90% of the world is using Microsoft operating systems and
just want their .exes to work, the FreeBSD project is closing down - it's all
been a huge mistake and we're just cavemen standing in the way of progress.

Clown.

Jonathan