As part of our disaster recovery planning, I'm working up a bare-metal
recovery sequence that can be followed by someone who's used Linux (easier to
find here than a FreeBSD admin).

My initial outline sequence was along the lines of:

Boot install CD and choose Fixit
fdisk -BI
extract saved disklabel from tape and install with bsdlabel
Initialise filesystems using stored output of dumpfs -m (from tape)
Restore filesystems from tape

I'm tripping up on the first step, which although it appears to create the
slice, throws a ``Geom not found'' message - which is potentially worrying to
someone blindly following a recovery script.

Is there a way to avoid this message, or would I be better off using the
Configure option of sysinstall (and the W option to write the new slice
table) before switching to Fixit mode to recover the disklabel (which is the
next bit I need to test ``under lab conditions'')?

Jonathan