On Saturday 22 March 2008 06:33, Da Rock wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 22:38 -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> > --On March 22, 2008 1:10:40 PM +1000 Da Rock
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Well that certainly explains it, but it does surprise me. I thought
> > > you'd have to subscribe to post.
> >
> > And *I* thought it was proper etiquette to only reply to the list.
>
> Me too.

This discussion takes place regularly on every mailing list in existence. The
main arguments against it seem to be that a) it might trash an existing
reply-to header and make it impossible to send an individual reply; b) in the
event of user error it fails safely - list reply ends up going to an
individual - rather than the potentially catastrophic
private-reply-to-publically-archived-mailing-list failure. Google for
reply-to munging considered harmful for more argument on both sides.

As regards copying the original recipients, this list specifically requests
it: check the regular posting titled ``how to get best results from
freebsd-questions'', particularly para VII.6.

Jonathan