On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, David Radovanovic wrote:

> That was the ticket. / is back down to 48%. Though when I 'sh MAKEDEV st0'
> in /dev I get the error: st0 - no such device name. Thanks.

Old backup system? "man st" claims that (a) this was a SCSI tape; and
(b) this has been deprecated in favour of the sa(4) driver.

1. Ensure your /dev/sa0 &co. device files exist.
2. Update your backup program, or specify the correct device file for it
to use
3. At a pinch, if your backup program doesn't grok sa, you might create
symlinks from /dev/st to /dev/sa but there's no guarantee that any
special ioctls will work across both devices.

"No generalised law is without exception." A self-demonstrating axiom.