From: "Tim Daneliuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:51 PM
To: "Kris Kennaway" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "FreeBSD Mailing List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: Making World For amd64

Kris Kennaway wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:
Tim Daneliuk wrote:
Is there anything special one has to do when doing a make world
intended for 64-bit FreeBSD or is it sufficient to build the 64-bit
kernel and make world as everywhere else?
The same as everywhere else.

Kris

So, I take it that this means that all the userspace programs, ports,
packages, utilities, etc. do *not* take advantage of the 64-bit
extensions.  That is, only the kernel gets the benefit of the
wider word.  Is that correct?

No, everything is 100% native.

Kris

OK, these may be really stupid questions but:

1) How does make world know whether to build 32-bit or 64-bit binaries?

2) Can a binary from a 32-bit FreeBSD system be run unmodified on the
 64-bit system?

3) If I reboot with 32-bit or 64-bit kernels, does the system magically
  somehow make the userland stuff work natively at the word width?
  If so, how?

TIA,

I take this to mean you have an i386 install and want to compile amd64 on it.