Andreas Davour wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Chris St Denis wrote:

Occasionally, I accidentially cat a binary file or a directory casing the terminal output to be corrupted with text looking like (don't know if this will make it through the mail cleanly)

  ????2#

To fix this normally I just close the window and open a new ssh connection, but I am wondering if there is a more clean way to do this. I've tried reset(1), but it doesn't seem to help any.

What termnial emulator are you using? KDE Konsole have an "Edit->Reset & Clear Terminal" menu alternative that usually manages to clear such problems up for me.

/Andreas

I use putty ssh client (on windows). I had thought it was a console change rather than terminal editor specific.

I'll try the things people have suggested here next time it happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.