On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:59:47 +0200, Frank Bonnet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like one of our server acting as a WebDAV server to allow
> French characters in filename , how to do so ?

I'm not sure which charset you will need, maybe ISO-8859-1 or -15
will do the job to allow accents and other things special to the
french language?

Set the correct LC_* variables via /etc/login.conf (elegant) or
via /etc/csh.cshrc (may be considered ugly, but works). For the last
case, it would be something like this:

        setenv LC_ALL          fr_FR.ISO8859-15

You can do it more "fine grained", if you wish to leave some of
the configurable things to the standard, for example:

        setenv LC_COLLATE      fr_FR.ISO8859-15
        setenv LC_CTYPE        fr_FR.ISO8859-15
        setenv LC_MESSAGES     en_US.ISO8859-15
        setenv LC_MONETARY     fr_FR.ISO8859-15
        setenv LC_NUMERIC      fr_FR.ISO8859-15
        setenv LC_TIME         fr_FR.ISO8859-15

I have a similar setting for the german language (de_DE) which
allows me to use Umlauts in file names.

BUT ATTENTION! I won't recommend anyone to use others but the
standard character set for filenames. It can lead to problems if
you're transfering files to a system which doesn't support
special characters from the french language or is unable to remap
them correctly. In my opinion, such characters should not be in
a filename, as well as whitespaces, ampersands, apostrophes,
doublequotes or similar things. I know it's possible, but it
sometimes can make things _really_ difficult.

I hope you won't run into such problems.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0