On Sat, 25 Oct 2008, Mike Clarke wrote:

gimp-help-2.4.1 worked OK with 2.4 but perhaps it's not compatible with
2.6. (I see from www.gimp.org that work is in progress on updating the
user manual for GIMP 2.6) so I thought I'd switch over to the online
help but then I got the following error message:

Could not open 'http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading:
Operation not supported

Perhaps you are missing GIO backends and need to install GVFS?

I have gio-fam-backend-2.16.5 and gvfs-0.2.5 installed.

With the same ports but also py25-gimp-app-2.6.1, it works here. Gimp settings:

  User Manual: Use the online version
  Help browser to use: Web browser
  Web browser to use: firefox3 %s

This isn't restricted to just the online help, gimp won't load any file
via http.

Hadn't tried opening an image URL before, but that seems to work here as well.