Since then I've been quite a fan of XFCE but found
myself slowly but surely converting to minimalism
i.e. the least needed to get done what I need done!

On my desktop FreeBSD this amount to about 6 jobs and for those twm fits the bill perfectly.
http://81.174.174.115/twm/twmrc.htm

i prefer fvwm2

but GREATLY reconfigured - no windows frames, no start menus etc. just 100% of screen for use.

(Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. by Antoine de Saint-Exuper.)
exactly