On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 01:56:27PM +0100, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 08:42:53 +0100
> Matthias Apitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > El día Sunday, November 02, 2008 a las 02:48:13AM +0300, Boris
> > Samorodov escribió:
> > > Seems that you may be interested at:
> > > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=343551+0+current/freebsd-current
>
> Hi Boris
>
> This link reference to an empty document
>
> > Known issues and FreeBSD work for the eeePC series are described here:
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee
> >
> > HIH
>
> Hi Matthias
>
> Thanks for the wikipage. I quote from there:
>
> Atheros L1 FastEthernet
> This one is second generation of L1 controller which is supposed to be
> heavily modified by Atheros after acquiring Attansic. This controller
> uses different bits/meaning in register layouts and seems to use
> different descriptor formats. This is not supported by the age(4)
> driver.
>
> In clear text: at the moment there is no driver available? Is this
> correct?

This might be applicable:

I recently send Yong-Hyeon PYUN an Asus P5Q SE motherboard, solely to
develop a driver for the Attansic L1 chip that's on the motherboard.
After a few weeks he returned to me a driver called ate(4), which
supports the Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 NICs.  The description I
got, as well as the driver:

"Ok, here is a working driver, ate(4), for Atheros AR8121/AR8113
and AR8114. It passed minimal functional requirement of network
driver of FreeBSD but it still needs more test and cleanups.
I'm not sure you have hardwares to test ate(4) but if you have
it give it a try. Note it seems that the hardware, at least AR8121,
has checksum offload bug so I disabled Tx side checksum offload.
TSO seems to work though.

The Tx performance is 920Mbps or higher but Rx performance
is 850~870 Mbps which is lower than Tx. It also requires a lot of
CPU cycles to push the hardware to limit but I think it comes from
hardware limitation not from ate(4) itself."

There is absolutely no guarantee that this is the same exact NIC used on
the Asus Eee, but there's a chance.

This driver isn't publicly available yet, and I do not feel comfortable
sending it to people here without Yong-Hyeon's permission.  I've CC'd
him so he can put it up on freebsd.org somewhere and let folks test it,
assuming it will/does work with the Asus Eee.