John Nielsen wrote:
If you replace "raid5" with "redundancy and n-1 capacity" then you could also look at geom_raid3, which is much simpler to configure than gvinum and also part of the base system. Additionally, FreeBSD 7.x has experimental support for ZFS (again in the base system and not in ports). That includes raidz, which is designed to have all of the good features of raid5 and none of the bad. I use it and it works well but you will need to do some reading and some manual tuning of your system. You'll also want a system with plenty of RAM and preferrably running FreeBSD-amd64 (vs FreeBSD-i386).

If you want to look in to RAID1 or RAID1+0 see geom_mirror and geom_stripe, also in the base system.

JN

Hiya

Thanks for this. I was looking at ZFS and I am impress with what I read, unfortunately no AMD 64 and I only have 1Gig Ram.

Thanks again.

Regards
Brent Clark