On 11/08/08 11:14, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

>>  Has anyone done this with FreeBSD and open source
>> software, and has recommendations on what hardware to get
>o> and what software works with it?
>
> Look up MythTV. it's the opensource alternative to Windows Media Center
> and has a lot of nice functionality. It is in FreeBSD ports too.

Although MythTV is available in ports, there are significant
disadvantages to running MythTV on FreeBSD.  First, most TV tuner cards
don't have corresponding FreeBSD kernel modules.  Second, MythTV uses
the Video4Linux API, which of course doesn't exist on FreeBSD --
instead, you hack the kernel to emulate V4L.  Third, there is terribly
limited LIRC (Linux Infrared Remote Control) support, and most people
will want to use their remotes with their MythTV installations.

I love FreeBSD, but running a PVR solution that is so closely tied to
Linux (V4L, LIRC) is a bit of a hack.  Don't get me wrong -- I tried it
and discovered that the community has made significant progress towards
getting it to work.  But at the end of the day, I wanted a
fully-functional PVR, not months of writing drivers and hacking V4L into
the FreeBSD kernel.  That's why I eventually made the decision to run
MythTV on Linux, even though I'd *much* rather administer a machine
running FreeBSD.

--
Benjamin Lee